From 30 September to 2 October 2015, the MED-SPRING project organized in Malta the 3rd EMEG meeting, hosted by the Malta Council for Science and Technology (MCST), in collaboration with CIHEAM-IAMB and MHESR. The event focused on the development of "A frame for a comprehensive understanding of water-food-energy nexus".
The 3rd EMEG meeting, according to what required by MED-SPRING task 2.4, intends to develop a Nexus approach as a new framing for the interdependence of water, energy and food (the societal challenges addressed by MedSpring) and, through a better understanding of the synergies and trade-offs among them, identify the factors research should take into consideration to ensure that demand is met without compromising sustainability requirements.
Please find the event rationale here, the event programme here and some general informations. Parts of this event will be livestreamed; please follow the link to our AGORA for more information: http://agora.medspring.eu/en/
Please find also more information on NEXUS inside the repository of bibliographic references for the EMEG group here.
Wednesday, 30 September
9h00 - 9h30 - Welcome (MCST, CIHEAM Secretary General, European Commission)
9h30 - 10h00 - The Nexus: a way to achieve sustainability [Claudio Bogliotti, Gaetano Ladisa and Virginia Belsanti, MEDSPRING Coordinator and Staff]
10h00 - 10h40 - European Commission - DG Research and Innovation:
- Water and Food in the upcoming EU research activities [Panagiotis Balabanis, European Commission DG Research and Innovation]
- Prospect of future EU-Mediterranean cooperation on Research and Innovation [Christopher Gauci, Policy Officer at European Commission DG Research and Innovation]
10h40 - 11h10 - Keynote speech: W-E-F Nexus in the Sahara Forest Project [Christina De Poitiers, Project Manager]
11h30 - 12h45 - Parallel working groups
15h00 - 16h00 - Parallel working groups
16h15 - 17h45 - Plenary session: group leader presents outcomes (30’) and debate
17h45 - Closure of 1st day.
Wednesday, 1 October
9h00 - 10h15 - Panel discussion: “Water- Energy-Food: perspectives for new market and innovation opportunities as well as research and cooperation”
- Daniele Rossi (Confagricoltura/Agrifood/Food4Life, Italy)
- Rim Saied (General Directorate of Research Valorization - Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Tunisia)
- Essam Khamis (City of Scientific Research and Technological Applications of Alexandria, Egypt)
- Muhammad Saidam (Knowledge Sector at Royal Scientific Society - El Hassan Science City, Jordan)
- Angelo Riccaboni (University of Siena, Italy) “A brief outline on the W-F nexus in P.R.I.M.A. (Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area)”
10h15 - 11h00 - Open debate
11h00 - 11h30 - Coffee break / Poster session
11h30 - 11h45 - Plenary session: Objectives and Tasks of the 2nd day (MEDSPRING Coordinator)
11h45 - 12h45 - Parallel working groups
15h00 - 17h00 - Parallel working groups (continuation)
17h15 - 18h00 - Plenary session: group leader presents outcomes (30’) (and debate)
18h00 - Closure of 2nd day.
Wednesday, 2 October
9h00 - 9h15 - Plenary session: Objectives and Tasks of the 3rd day (MEDSPRING Coordinator)
9h30 - 11h45 - Parallel working groups (mixed small groups 5-6 person)
11h45 - 12h45 - Plenary session: collection/clustering of recommendations and conclusions.
13h00 - Closure