From the 25th to 26th February 2015, MedSpring organized in Berlin (Germany), the two-days event, hosted by DLR, in collaboration with MHESR, MCST, ANIMA and CIHEAM-IAMB : “2nd Euro-Mediterranean Brokerage and Venturing Event on Research and Innovation”. This event was organized back to back with the "Annual Meeting of the General Assembly".
Coming to its second edition, and building on the 1st Brokerage event (held in Cairo on February 2014) the 2nd Brokerage Event was a regional Euro-Mediterranean event where companies, organizations, entrepreneurs and researchers from different EU and Mediterranean countries participated with the aim of facilitating bridging between research and innovation through the creation of private-public and research-enterprise partnerships. It also aimed at activating relevant actors in the Mediterranean region, helping them to enhance clustering for innovation involving young entrepreneurs from the Mediterranean Partner Countries (MPCs). The brokerage event stimulated the participation of representatives of identified innovation clusters as well as ideas carriers from different European countries. Existing regional networks or cluster initiatives were also involved in the event to help triggering local to regional commercial-technology partnerships.
About 90 participants from 18 countries attended the brokerage event: young entrepreneurs/researchers, start-ups, researcher institutions, tech-driven enterprises, SMEs and other relevant private/public potential investors/networks from Euro-Mediterranean Countries met in Berlin to share their interest and offers for cooperation as well as to get funding opportunities. Among them, 20 young entrepreneurs and researchers were invited to present their innovative ideas. The event programme is available here.
The open sessions were livestreamed from Berlin - starting from Wednesday 25 @8.30am, Berlin time (UTC+1). We welcomed all those interested in following the event live on Agora! at: http://agora.medspring.eu/en/content/brokerage-event-berlin-livestreaming.
For updates and further information, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn or contact the brokerage secretariat at email@example.com.
Please find the interviews collected during the last brokerage event in Berlin online at the MED-SPRING AGORA website: http://agora.medspring.eu/en/content/idea-carriers-interviews-1 and http://agora.medspring.eu/en/content/idea-carriers-interviews-berlin-2.
25 February 2015
08:00-08:45 - Registration of participants (DLR)
08:45-09:30 - Welcome addresses
Chair: Ralf Hermann (DLR)
- Peter Webers, German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), Head of Division 212: Cooperation with developing and emerging countries, Africa and the Middle East
- Cosimo Lacirignola, Secretary-General of Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM)
- Claudio Bogliotti, MedSpring Coordinator (CIHEAM-IAMB) and Zeinab El-Sadr, Deputy Coordinator (MHESR)
- Fadila Boughanemi, European Commission, DG Research and Innovation: Roadmap for cooperation in research and innovation between the Southern Mediterranean and the European Union
09:30-10:30 - Keynote speeches:
- Verena Lepper (AGYA): Scientific excellence as basis for innovation
- Caroline Paunov (Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation, OECD): Innovation and inclusive growth
10:30-11:00 - Coffee break
11:00-13:00 - Policy Approaches for Research and Innovation
Chair: Claudio Bogliotti (CIHEAM), Roman Noetzel (DLR)
- Peter Webers (BMBF): Research, education and innovation: an international perspective
- Silke Stahl-Rolf (VDI-TZ): Clusters as an instrument to boost regional growth
- Cluster Policies in the MPCs and practical experiences:
a. Main findings of the MedSpring cluster analysis, Oliver Rohde (DLR):
b. Panel discussion with MedSpring partners from MPCs about national R&I programmes and cluster policies in the region:
13:00-14:30 - Lunch
14:30-15:15 - Supporting and bringing innovative ideas to the market: examples from EU and MPC
Chair: Ralf Hermann (DLR), Rula Atweh (CNRS Lebanon)
- Mona el Tobgui, Holger Kohl: International cooperation activities of the Fraunhofer Society
- Other investors from MPCs & EU MS
15:15-16:00 Short presentation of regional innovation clusters:
- Odtu Teknokent, Turkey
- Axel Bronstert (Water Science Alliance)
- Jan Kallok (IDE Institute for Decentralised Energy Technologies)
16:00-16:30 - Coffee break
16:30-18:00 - Pitch presentations of invited clusters and idea carriers
Chair: Amina Ziane-Cherif (ANIMA), Oliver Rohde (DLR)
26 February 2015
09:00-10:30 - Pitch presentations of invited clusters and idea carriers:
Chair: Amina Ziane-Cherif (ANIMA), Oliver Rohde (DLR)
- Refutrees prezi presentation.
- We Deliver Taste
- Almoayied Assayed
- Scientific Food Center
- Vitalight Lab
- Citizen Cow
- IRIS technologies
10:30-11:30 - Bi-and multilateral informal meetings between registered participants and ideas carriers
Chair: Gaetano Ladisa (CIHEAM), Zeinab El-Sadr (MHESR)
11:00 - Coffee break (available during the face-to-face brokerage)
11:45-12:30 Bi and multilateral informal meetings between registered participants and ideas carriers (continuation). Please note: participation is confined to idea carriers and registered online participants from EU MS/AC and MPCs - MED-SPRING consortium members are optional observers in this session!
12:45 - Closure
13:00 - Lunch
14:30 - On-site brokerage – study tour (optional, prior registration required). Field trip to Adlershof Technology Park
- Presentation by IRIS Adlershof - Integrative Research Institute for the Sciences
- Presentation by GfaI - Society for the Promotion of Applied Computer Sciences
17:00 - End of tour
Please visit this link for more information on the selected ideas/projects!