This is a pre-announcement of the third joint transnational research call that will be co-funded by the following ERANETMED partners: ANR (France), ASRT (Egypt), BMBF (Germany), CIHEAM Bari (Int. Org.), CNRS-L (Lebanon), DGRSDT (Algeria), HCST (Jordan), MESRSFC (Morocco), MESRST (Tunisia), MIUR (Italy), MINECO (Spain), RPF (Cyprus), STDF (Egypt), TUBITAK (Turkey). It aims at informing research teams about the imminent publication of the joint transnational research call in May 2017.
The MED-SPRING project participated in the "Seeds&Chips Global Food Innovation Summit", held from 8 to 11 May 2017 in Milano, Italy. This is one of the top food innovation events worldwide. It was dedicated to showcasing national and international talent and cutting-edge solutions from around the world.
Integrating Arab e-infrastructure in a Global Environment, e-AGE, is an annual international conference organized by the Arab States Research and Education Network, ASREN. Since the launch of ASREN in December 2010 at the League of Arab States, it was decided to organize e-AGE every year in an Arab country. e-AGE is in line with ASREN’s major objectives that are related to dissemination and awareness, promotion of research collaboration and joint activities, and establishment of research networks in the Arab region and worldwide.
Water for food and agriculture is an important topic on the agenda. COST supports more than 20 Actions in this area and European stakeholders intensively discuss the issue with a strong focus on the Mediterranean area. COST aims to provide networking opportunities to structure this important field, to link the active researchers with policy stakeholders and thus connect the dots in the European Research Area.
Read more: http://www.cost.eu/events/cost-connect-water .
The conference aims to gather new research contributions from all disciplines of environmental sciences by many Euro-Mediterranean scientists from diverse backgrounds, in particular from the geo- and bio-environmental sciences and engineering, and thus make an essential contribution towards ensuring that science and knowledge can contribute to promoting a more sustainable environment for the Euro-Mediterranean region.
Read more: http://www.emcei.net/ .
Among northern-African countries, Tunisia has been a forerunner in terms of environmental awareness. During the Ben Ali era, it has been the first Arab state to set up a ministry for the environment (in 1991); after the 2010 revolution, the National Constituent Assembly inserted a reference to the commitment against climate change in the new 2014 Constitution.
Since the beginning of the 2011 revolution and the deposition of President Mubarak, Egypt has entered a new phase of political and social unrest. In 2014 Marshal Abdel Fattah el-Sisi won the general elections by an overwhelming majority yet without experiencing an internal social pacification. In this context Egypt participated in the 2015 COP21 and committed itself to both mitigation and adaptation efforts. To date, however, the country has not ratified the Paris Agreement.
A rentier state with a national GDP almost entirely dependent on hydrocarbons revenues, Algeria is a strategic geopolitical actor for the Mediterranean and Northern African area, and also a likely green energy exports leader in the near future, if policy pledges are to be fulfilled. The country’s economy mostly relies on revenues on the exports of oil and gas. In 2012 Algeria was considered the third largest oil producer in Africa after Nigeria and Libya, and the sixth largest natural gas producer in the world.
Morocco is hosting the second UNFCCC climate talks in the country’s history. With the Paris agreement already into force before the Marrakech conference, the Moroccan government has the opportunity to lead a COP focused on means and strategies to actually implement the agreement, rather than on the ratification process. Morocco is a strategic actor of the MENA and South-Mediterranean region, despite its status of of lower middle-income economy with a per-capita GDP among the lowest in North Africa.
In collaboration with the EU Maltese presidency, the MEP Water Group convened a successful public session on "Water Reuse - an effective tool to address water scarcity" on the 7th of March at the European Parliament. The session was chaired by Esther de Lange, President of the MEP Water Group and hosted five high-level panellists, who presented their own perspectives on why water-reuse is a valuable solution to address water scarcity, adaptation to climate change and implement circular economy.
Union for the Mediterranean - UfM
- UfM Ministerial Conference on Strengthening the Role of Women in Society
- Barcelona Women Entrepreneurship and Investment Forum – Medaweek 2017
- Medaweek 2017 Barcelona: “Strength in Diversity, Our Economic Power”
- Third annual YOCOPAS (Youth Organised Collaboration on Peace and Sustainability) Conference – Meet. Connect. Act.
- UfM Energy and Climate Business Forum: Releasing renewable energy opportunities in the Euro-Mediterranean Region
EIB latest publications
CIHEAM press reviews
European Institute of the Mediterranean - IEMED - Spain
Consulat Général de France à Jérusalem
- Colonisation à Jérusalem-Est – menace d'expulsion visant la famille Shamsaneh à Cheikh Jarrah - déclaration des chefs de mission de l'UE
- Colonisation à Jérusalem-Est – expulsions à Cheikh Jarrah – visite à la famille Shamasneh (9 août 2017)
- Cérémonie au domaine national d'Abou Gosh (6 août 2018)
- Offre d'emploi - chargé(e) de projets Banque/Secteur privé
- Colonisation à Jérusalem-Est - expulsions à Cheikh Jarrah – visite de terrain de diplomates (2 août 2017)
The European Water Platform news
EIB latest news
- Meeting No. 509 of the Board of Directors
- Annual Economics Conference “Investment and Investment Finance"
- Meeting No. 508 of the Board of Directors
- Meeting No. 507 of the Board of Directors
- The role of social financial intermediaries in deploying financial instruments under the European Social Fund in the 2014-2020 programming period
Canal Investigación MINECO - Spain
- Preanuncio de la 1ª Convocatoria conjunta de Biodiversa y Belmont Forum de Proyectos Transnacionales con participación del MINECO en el marco de la ERA-NET BiodivScen: Scenarios of biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Información sobre la convocatoria 2017 de Acciones de Programación Conjunta Internacional (APCIN 2017)
- Información sobre la convocatoria 2017 de ayudas para incentivar la incorporación estable de doctores (IED 2017)
- España se adhiere a la principal infraestructura científica europea de observación oceánica
- El Observatorio Internacional del Telescopio de 30 metros y el IAC firman un acuerdo para su instalación en La Palma
Enseignement Superieur et Recherche - Europe et international - France
- Rencontre de Frédérique Vidal avec son homologue portugais, Manuel Heitor
- Frédérique Vidal rencontre son homologue singapourien, Ong Ye Kung
- "Make Our Planet Great Again" : un site pour faciliter la mobilisation en faveur du climat
- ESOF 2018 - Festival Science in the City
- Appel à projets pour le soutien linguistique et culturel aux étudiant.e.s réfugié.e.s
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO Newsroom
- Japan is a global model for healthy diets, FAO Director-General says
- FAO and World Bank step up partnership to end hunger and poverty
- Addressing migration requires investments in sustainable rural development
- The Garden Toothbrush
- FAO Food Price Index dips again in April, led by sugar and vegetable oils