From 11th to 12th July 2013 the workshop "Inter-institutional Capacity Building & Awareness Workshop", organized by MEDSPRING in Beirut, conveyed senior officials and researchers of key organizations and main actors from Europe and South Mediterranean Countries to discuss prospects of Euro-Mediterranean cooperation on Science and Technology under a form of a more stable and sustainable cooperation.
The event was focused on the instruments for building a long-term and stable cooperation on research and innovation in the Euro-Mediterranean region. Participants discussed the main tools to promote and strengthen the cooperation and the research priorities and themes that should be addressed, in line with the principles of co-ownership and co-funding.
The Lebanese Minister of Education and Higher Education, together with participants came from 11 countries and represent institutions, research centers & universities and the private sector, attended the workshop.
Beirut, 11 July 2013
In particular, ad-hoc sessions were organized to build a shared north-south knowledge, capacity and willingness to develop a common form of long term cooperation under - for example - ad-hoc EU instruments like the Article 185 of the new Lisbon Treaty. Please find the event agenda and a Logical Framework to support design of long-term Euro-Mediterranean Cooperation on research and innovation.
As shown in the next photo, on the first day of the Inter-institutional Capacity Building & Awareness Workshop, H.E. Hassan Diab, Lebanese Minister of Education and Higher Education made a welcome speech to the participants, stressing the importance of cooperation on research and development between North and South of the Mediterranean.
Participants discussed the possibility of launching an TFEU Article 185 initiative addressed to the Euro-Mediterranean region. Representatives of existing Article 185 initiatives (EUROSTARS, BONUS) gave their vision on the legal, administrative and financial issues related to their implementation.
Thursday, July 11th
8h30 - Registration
9h00 – 9h30 Welcome
- Mouin Hamze - CNRS-L
- Claudio Bogliotti - CIHEAM-IAMB, MedSpring Coordinator
- Hamid El-Zoheiry - MHESR, MedSpring Deputy Coordinator
- Angelina Eichhorst - Head of EU Delegation in Beirut, Lebanon
- H.E. Hassan Diab - Minister of Education and Higher Education
9h30 - 10h00 - Euro-Mediterranean cooperation on research and innovation (Elisabeth Lipiatou / Fadila Boughanemi, European Commission)
10h30 - 11h00 - Presentation of participants
11h00 - 13h00 - 1st Training session - Instruments and main features (Session chair: M. Jebara - TESR, Tunisia)
- Instruments for joint European activities and cooperation - Evelina Santa-Kahle (20 min)
- Main features of TFEU Article 185 initiative - S. Ronchetti - MIUR (20 min)
- The way to Eurostars II - P. Santos de Sampaio Nunes - Eurostars Secretariat (20 min)
Each presentation will be followed by 20 min discussion and questions from participants.
14h30-16h30 - 2nd Training session
- Case Studies from ongoing initiatives under Art. 185 (Session Chair: D. Hoffschir - Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research - France)
- Dedicated Implementation Structure: Presentation by representatives from BONUS - U. Wolf - PTJ (20 min)
- A stocktaking analysis of R&I cooperation initiatives for the Euro-Mediterranean Region (MED-SPRING Tasks 6.1 and 6.2) to support identification of potential synergies - M. Rossano – CNR, B. Ditgens - DLR)(20 min)
Each presentation will be followed by 20 min discussion and questions from participants. 16h30 – 17h00 Reporting on the main outcomes of the day (B. Ditgens – DLR)
Friday, July 12th
Thematic orientation & discussion (Chair: Dr. Mouin Hamze – CNRS/L)
8h30 - 9h00 - Presentation of a possible Log-Frame of long-term Euro-Mediterranean cooperation (C. Bogliotti - CIHEAM - IAMB)
9h00 - 11h00 - Parallel working groups: thematic discussion
11h30 - 12h00 - Plenary session: presentation of working groups outcomes
12h00 - 12h30 - Wrap up and conclusion of meeting.