Water is by far seen as the most important but vulnerable resource in the Mediterranean region. The major problems of fresh water resources management in the region arise from the pressure to meet the increasing food and domestic water needs in areas characterized by fast-growing population, water scarcity or limited water availability, exacerbated by extreme climate variability.
UN-Water has undertaken an expert consultation process where UN-Water’s 31 Members from the United Nations system and 36 international Partners have come together to analyze what role water could have in the Post-2015 Development Agenda based on their experience and expertise.
There is a growing interest in how to deliver energy services to people on a low income, not just for household use but to earn a living: the so-called ‘productive uses’ of energy. One sector that deserves particular attention is smallholder agriculture. Expanding access to modern energy services and equipment for farmers could help address food security, gender empowerment and rural poverty. But the issues are complex, barriers plentiful and examples sparse of successful delivery at scale.
Participants highlighted growing demand for energy, water and food, and recommended actions at the 14th Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS). This year's summit took place on 6-8 February 2014, in New Delhi, India, under the theme 'Attaining Energy, Water, Food Security for All.'
One of the biggest challenges we will face in the coming years is how to provide more food, fiber and fuel to a growing and increasingly more affluent world, while at the same time striving to use resources more efficiently, mitigate and adapt to climate change, and maintain healthy ecosystems. Competing and growing demands for water, energy and food will put great strains on our resources and require us to leave business-as-usual scenarios behind.
GWP’s new 2014-2019 global strategy, Towards 2020, is now available online. The strategy outlines a new direction for GWP with the goals of catalyzing change, sharing knowledge, and strengthening partnerships for a water secure world.
The symposium called “Nachhaltige Energie für Ernährung“ (Sustainable Energy for Food) is organized by GIZ and DIE on behalf of BMZ on the 12 of June 2014 at Deutsche Welle, Kurt-Schumacher-Straße 3, 53113 Bonn. The objective is to promote exchange on the topic of Sustainable energy for Food. The symposium is free of charge and will take place in German. English Translations will be available.
Following its long time tradition of successful international post-graduate and doctoral training, FEEM supports Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship applications in its research areas in the field of economics, energy and sustainable development.
Researchers from Carnegie Mellon University and University of California Berkeley, together with the United Nations Foundation’s Energy Access Practitioner Network, have released a groundbreaking new study evaluating the contribution of micro-grids to electrification in a range of developing countries.
Union for the Mediterranean - UfM
- UfM Ministerial Conference on Strengthening the Role of Women in Society
- Barcelona Women Entrepreneurship and Investment Forum – Medaweek 2017
- Medaweek 2017 Barcelona: “Strength in Diversity, Our Economic Power”
- Third annual YOCOPAS (Youth Organised Collaboration on Peace and Sustainability) Conference – Meet. Connect. Act.
- UfM Energy and Climate Business Forum: Releasing renewable energy opportunities in the Euro-Mediterranean Region
EIB latest publications
CIHEAM press reviews
European Institute of the Mediterranean - IEMED - Spain
Consulat Général de France à Jérusalem
- Colonisation à Jérusalem-Est – menace d'expulsion visant la famille Shamsaneh à Cheikh Jarrah - déclaration des chefs de mission de l'UE
- Colonisation à Jérusalem-Est – expulsions à Cheikh Jarrah – visite à la famille Shamasneh (9 août 2017)
- Cérémonie au domaine national d'Abou Gosh (6 août 2018)
- Offre d'emploi - chargé(e) de projets Banque/Secteur privé
- Colonisation à Jérusalem-Est - expulsions à Cheikh Jarrah – visite de terrain de diplomates (2 août 2017)
The European Water Platform news
EIB latest news
- Meeting No. 509 of the Board of Directors
- Annual Economics Conference “Investment and Investment Finance"
- Meeting No. 508 of the Board of Directors
- Meeting No. 507 of the Board of Directors
- The role of social financial intermediaries in deploying financial instruments under the European Social Fund in the 2014-2020 programming period
Canal Investigación MINECO - Spain
- Preanuncio de la 1ª Convocatoria conjunta de Biodiversa y Belmont Forum de Proyectos Transnacionales con participación del MINECO en el marco de la ERA-NET BiodivScen: Scenarios of biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Información sobre la convocatoria 2017 de Acciones de Programación Conjunta Internacional (APCIN 2017)
- Información sobre la convocatoria 2017 de ayudas para incentivar la incorporación estable de doctores (IED 2017)
- España se adhiere a la principal infraestructura científica europea de observación oceánica
- El Observatorio Internacional del Telescopio de 30 metros y el IAC firman un acuerdo para su instalación en La Palma
Enseignement Superieur et Recherche - Europe et international - France
- Rencontre de Frédérique Vidal avec son homologue portugais, Manuel Heitor
- Frédérique Vidal rencontre son homologue singapourien, Ong Ye Kung
- "Make Our Planet Great Again" : un site pour faciliter la mobilisation en faveur du climat
- ESOF 2018 - Festival Science in the City
- Appel à projets pour le soutien linguistique et culturel aux étudiant.e.s réfugié.e.s
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO Newsroom
- Japan is a global model for healthy diets, FAO Director-General says
- FAO and World Bank step up partnership to end hunger and poverty
- Addressing migration requires investments in sustainable rural development
- The Garden Toothbrush
- FAO Food Price Index dips again in April, led by sugar and vegetable oils